What's New in Version 7?
For detailed information, please read our Release Notes.
Overview of VERSION 7
With the introduction of VERSION 7 and the subsequent releases (latest release is V 7.6), EAGLE has moved from being just a PCB Design tool towards a complete Electronics Design System.
New Major Functionality
- Hierarchical Design
- 64 Bit Versions for Windows, MAC and Linux
New Capabilities with 3rd Party Tools
- EAGLE Simulation and Signal Integrity (powered by PCBSim by Felicitas)
- EAGLE 3D visualization service (powered by Simplified Solutions)
- EAGLE Library Builder (powered by PCB Libraries)
- ECAD-MCAD workflow (Fusion 360 by AutoDesk)
- Enhanced Library Editor Usability
- Additional Import and Export capabilities
- File Locking for team Collaboration
- Hi Res Customisable Icons
EAGLE Version 7.6
For all the detailed information about this new version, please read the Release Notes.
EAGLE Version 7.5
CadSoft releases EAGLE v.7.5 with exciting new features that simplify the ECAD-to-MCAD design work-flow and improve the import and exports capabilities of EAGLE. CadSoft has also continued to listen to the input from its users around usability and v7.5 includes enhancements in this area as well as the incorporation of a number of minor bug fixes.
In recognition of the ever expanding needs of EAGLE’s large community user-base CadSoft has also added a second schematic sheet to the free edition of EAGLE v7.5. This is to support community users in dealing with the growing complexity of even small designs for personal projects and also allows them to explore the world of hierarchy in schematic design. So, if you’re an EAGLE Freeware user, click here to update to v7.5.
We’ve extended EAGLE‘s export and import capabilities so users can now enjoy immediate access to the following from directly within EAGLE:
• Gerber import
Import designs that are in Gerber format into EAGLE’s board editor and use them as board templates for component placement or as a manual routing guide. Basic Gerber file editing and export options are also available.
• Import/Export of DXF files
Import files such as a company logo or complex board outlines and use them as a guide for component placement. Export EAGLE designs for 2D compatibility with your preferred mechanical application.
• An extension of EAGLE’s common functions through the integration of key ULP functionality into EAGLE’s standard menu, supporting:
o The creation of pick and place data
o The placement of multiple components in a polar or Cartesian array
o Easier component creation
o Forcing components to a default grid in the schematic editor
We’ve taken your feedback in two crucial areas of EAGLE’s usability and have added:
• File locking
Allows files to be protected when collaborating with other team members.
• Support for High Resolution displays
Icons can now be scaled and customized.
We’ve simplified the product design workflow with the integration of AutoDesk’s new MCAD tool, Fusion 360, as well other integrations with that deliver extended capabilities to EAGLE:
• ECAD-MCAD workflow (Fusion 360 by AutoDesk) – Learn more
Fusion 360 is a cloud based Mechanical application that is fully engineered by Autodesk. The application has all necessary tools and capabilities that allow for accurate mechanical rendition of designs. EAGLE step files can now be exported directly from EAGLE to Fusion 360 for, supporting rapid design iterations between ECAD and MCAD designs. The feature requires an EAGLE 3D visualization license, powered by Simplified Solutions.
• EAGLE Simulation and Signal Integrity (powered by PCBSim by Felicitas) – Learn more
PCBSim provides a complete circuit simulator with special extensions for signal integrity.
The signal integrity function analyzes and corrects a design very early in the design cycle for signal integrity issues. This ensures that the signal integrity remains stable throughout the complete transmission path from sender to receiver IC. Available modules are Transmission Lines, S Parameter Models and IBIS models.
• EAGLE Library Builder (powered by PCB Libraries) – Learn more
The Library Expert supports the creation of high-quality standard libraries to meet the designer’s specific needs.
• EAGLE 3D visualization service (powered by Simplified Solutions) – Learn more
IDF-to-3D allows the creation of 3D models of your PCBs in STEP or STL format. These can be exported to the MCAD tool of your choice for 3D visualization.
EAGLE Version 7.4
- Library editor improvements: Symbols can now be copied from the Control Panel or within a library
- New "Make Pro" edition with flexible board size
- Extension of the Overview screen: easy duplication of components
- Now with design rules from Würth and Eurocircuits for the generation of manufacturable data
- Improved documentation
EAGLE Version 7.3
EAGLE Version 7.3 delivers enhanced usability and optimized performance for EAGLE users everywhere:
Library Editor Usability enhancements:
- Library overview screen that enables the user to see the complete chosen library at a glance. The user can easily rename and remove devices, packages and symbols directly from the library overview screen
- New library cross-references: direct access from the library overview to the cross referenced packages and symbols for devices. Back-references to devices are also available with one click.
- New and simplified full library context view and easy submenu access available. Descriptions can be viewed and changed directly from context menu
- Additional icon and command to view full library structure with one click
Additional information in the Control Panel available:
- Devices, packages and symbols are now visible in a reorganized structure. The symbols were added and can be previewed
- Package-Description list: the related symbol keeps showing while scrolling through the list
- Direct access to Reference Manuals, accessible without leaving EAGLE
64bit version of EAGLE is now available
for improved performance on Windows, Linux and Mac and simplified Linux installation.
Keeping up with the trend towards 64bit machines, EAGLE now leverages the improved performance of the 64bit architecture.
Significantly extended IDF export option
for 3D view and STEP File export
Update to the latest UI framework from QT
Watch some videos about the features in Version 7.3
EAGLE Version 7.2
In the latest update release of EAGLE, among the improvements are:
- User Language: DRC and ERC error messages now accessible
- Installation: Revised for Mac Computers
- Export: Improved for monochrome images
- Hierarchical Modules: Improved Port command
The existing autorouter is based on a rip-up retry algorithm in which it takes into consideration that parameters defined in Design Rule Checker & NetClass. This is a single thread process by which the end user needs to run the autorouter multiple to test different configuration.
The new autorouter for v7 augments the existing algorithm. One of the most noticeable effects of the new autorouter is that it is Multi-Threaded and therefore can take advantage of Multicore processors.
This means that the autorouter can run multiple configurations simultaneously. The user will be able to select the best outcome that accommodates his design.
On computers with multiple core processors each thread can own its own processor core. This optimizes EAGLE’s use of the available hardware.
The new autorouter includes the option to use our TopRouter. This intricate process will result in boards with significantly less points of transition compared to our previous algorithm. This will result in very cost effective optimal boards that will need less manual interaction by the end user.
This feature stems from multiple surveys hosted by CadSoft and requests monitored by our support and development team. Hierarchal design helps designers to organize large schematic designs into small functional blocks which can then be assigned to various members of a team. It helps collaborative design teams to work on specific areas of a large complex design, which can then be easily integrated.
At the end all these designs can be integrated due to our newly implement hierarchal design capability. This also favours design re-use by allowing blocks of one design to be used in another design.
Version 7 also means a modernized graphic look of the user interface. The icons used since the beginning have been replaced by new and modern images that are self explaining and support improving the usability of EAGLE from a visual perspective.
Export of IDF files
CadSoft Computer has created and included in EAGLE v7 an intricate ULP that will allow users to export an IDF file of the circuit board. This file is compatible with most mechanical programs.
What is IDF?
The IDF (Intermediate Data Format) file represents the maximum dimension (length, width and height) of a component in the form of a block. These blocks act as placeholders for exact 3D models of the individual components. This basic model can be used as a preliminary check in any suitable mechanical design application.